Saturday, June 22, 2013

Acceptance

"Acceptance of what has happened is the first step to overcoming the consequences of any misfortune." - William James

When someone gives you a gift on your birthday, it is usually not difficult to accept it. We are also able to accept food, service, friendships, and more. These are things we tend to desire, which makes it easier to receive. However, when life throws us a trial, we struggle to accept it.

It makes perfect sense. Honestly. Why would we accept something that could hurt us? It would be like someone with lactose intolerance accepting a glass of milk or a bunch of cheese. That would be crazy.

Recently, I was given an trial that has become quite difficult. In fact, for a while, I was angry, upset and frustrated with why I had this and would not accept the fact or problem. It has affected my work, social and physical life. There have been so many ups and downs, and twists and turns, that have left me dumbfounded and confused. Then one morning, I came to a realization that I could not control what was going on with my body, but I could control of how I look at it and accepting that this trial is a part of my life. That has made all the difference in the world.

George Orwell has said, "Happiness can exist only in acceptance." How true that is. We become truly happy when we accept whatever we've been given. Looking at a different vista has given me more joy. It doesn't mean that it isn't hard. It does mean that the outcome, whatever it may be, will be what is supposed to happen.

In the end, we can accept what we are given, and hope for more. This quote says it all. "Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them." Brendon Francis



No comments:

Post a Comment