Saturday, August 15, 2015

Gastroparesis Awareness Month

Ten years ago, I started experiencing symptoms of an unknown condition and continued to have those symptoms for the next 8 months, without knowing why. When I finally received a diagnosis of gastroparesisin  April of the following year, I was confused. I had never heard of such a condition. I couldn't pronounce it. I couldn't remember the name. I just remember knowing that my stomach was lazy. A few weeks later, I had learned the name of my condition and that in reality, my stomach wasn't lazy, it was paralyzed. Not only that, I learned that my whole gut appeared to be paralyzed.

Education was an important part of the process to bring to where I am right now. I did research. I tried to figure out why it was happening, how to make it better and what exactly it was. It was difficult explaining it to others and I tried to avoid those awkward conversations. 

These days, I know more about the condition. I am able to explain it to others and I am able to live a normal life. However, whenever I mention my condition or attempt to explain it, the most common reaction is that the person has never heard of it before. Gastroparesis is not very well known, yet a very real condition. In fact, people have died due to the malnutrition that takes place in harsh cases.

August is Gastroparesis Awareness Month.


There are many ways to become educated.

On this blog, there are links to a few websites. Here is a link to the website on the above poster: http://www.aboutgastroparesis.org/

Ask questions of someone who has this condition. For me, I would rather people ask me questions and not assume they know what works for me or the best things.



There is so much education and research that is needed to help find treatments and cures for this condition and raising awareness is key.

Happy Gastroparesis Awareness Month!

No comments:

Post a Comment